Are you fascinated by the idea of flying an aircraft and exploring the skies? Do you want to know how to become a pilot in India and make your dream come true? If yes, then you are in the right place. In this article, we will tell you everything you need to know about how to become a pilot in India, including the eligibility criteria, the steps involved, the cost and duration of pilot training, and the best flying schools to join. By the end of this article, you will have a clear picture of how to become a pilot in India in 2023 and what it takes to achieve your goal.
Eligibility Criteria for Becoming a Pilot in India
The first thing you need to do if you want to become a pilot in India is to check whether you meet the eligibility criteria or not. The eligibility criteria for becoming a pilot in India are as follows:
- You must be at least 17 years old at the time of applying for a pilot license. This means that you can start your pilot training after completing your 10+2 or equivalent.
- You must have completed 10+2 or equivalent with a minimum of 50% marks in physics and mathematics. These subjects are essential for understanding the principles of flight and navigation. If you have not studied physics and mathematics in 10+2, you can take the National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) exams to qualify.
- You must obtain a valid medical certificate from an authorized medical practitioner approved by the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA). The medical certificate certifies that you are physically and mentally fit to fly an aircraft. You will need to undergo various tests such as vision, hearing, blood pressure, etc.
Steps to Become a Commercial Pilot in India
If you meet the eligibility criteria, then you can proceed to the next step, which is to become a commercial pilot in India. A commercial pilot is someone who can fly for airlines or other commercial purposes and earn money from flying. To become a commercial pilot in India, you need to follow these steps:
- Research flight schools and training options: There are many flight schools and training institutes in India that offer pilot training programs. You need to do some research and compare them based on factors such as fees, facilities, faculty, reputation, placement, etc. You can also check the DGCA website for a list of approved flying schools.
- Enroll in a DGCA-approved flying school: Once you have selected a flight school that suits your needs and budget, you need to enroll in it and start your training. You will need to pay the admission fee and submit the required documents such as your 10+2 mark sheet, medical certificate, etc.
- Complete ground school and flight training: The pilot training program consists of two parts: ground school and flight training. Ground school covers the theoretical aspects of flying such as aviation laws, meteorology, navigation, etc. Flight training covers the practical aspects of flying such as maneuvers, take-offs, landings, etc. You will need to complete at least 200 hours of flight training to be eligible for a commercial pilot license (CPL).
- Pass DGCA theoretical and practical exams: After completing your ground school and flight training, you will need to pass the DGCA exams to obtain your CPL. The exams consist of two parts: theoretical and practical. The theoretical part consists of six subjects: air regulations, aviation meteorology, air navigation, technical general, technical specific, and radio telephony. You will need to score at least 70% in each subject to pass. The practical part consists of a skill test conducted by a DGCA examiner. You will need to demonstrate your flying skills and knowledge in various situations such as normal and emergency procedures.
- Obtain Commercial Pilot License (CPL): Once you pass the DGCA exams, you will be issued your CPL by the DGCA. The CPL allows you to fly as a co-pilot or second-in-command in any aircraft registered in India. To fly as a captain or first-in-command, you will need to obtain additional ratings and endorsements such as instrument rating, multi-engine rating, type rating, etc.
Top Flying Schools for Pilot Training in India
There are many flying schools in India that offer pilot training programs. However, some of the top ones are:
- National Flying Training Institute (NFTI): NFTI is one of the leading flying schools in India located in Gondia, Maharashtra. It is a joint venture between the Airport Authority of India (AAI) and CAE Inc., a global leader in aviation training. NFTI offers an integrated CPL course that covers both ground school and flight training using state-of-the-art facilities and equipment such as Diamond DA40 and DA42 aircrafts.
- Garg Aviation: Garg Aviation is one of the oldest flying schools in India located in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh. It is approved by the DGCA.
- Hercules Aviation Academy: Hercules Aviation Academy is one of the premier flying schools in India located in Hyderabad, Telangana. It is approved by the DGCA.
Cost of Pilot Training Programs in India
The cost of pilot training programs in India varies depending on the flight school, the type of license, the duration of training, the type of aircraft, etc. However, on average, the cost of obtaining a CPL with a multi-engine rating in India is around 35-40 lakhs. This includes the fees for ground school, flight training, exams, books, uniforms, accommodation, etc. The cost can be higher or lower depending on the factors mentioned above.
Duration of Pilot Training in India
The duration of pilot training in India depends on the flight school, the type of license, the pace of learning, the availability of aircraft, the weather conditions, etc. However, on average, it takes around 1.5-3 years to complete the pilot training program and obtain a CPL with a multi-engine rating in India. This includes the time for ground school, flight training, exams, etc. The duration can be shorter or longer depending on the factors mentioned above.
Hard Work and Dedication Required
Becoming a pilot in India is not an easy task. It requires a lot of hard work and dedication. You need to meet the eligibility criteria, complete the training program, pass the exams, and obtain your license. You also need to invest a lot of time and money in your education and career. However, if you have a passion for flying and a dream of becoming a pilot in India, then nothing can stop you from achieving your goal. Becoming a pilot in India is a rewarding career that offers you many opportunities and benefits such as travel, adventure, prestige, salary, etc. If you are interested in becoming a pilot in India in 2023, then start your preparation today and follow this step-by-step guide to success.